Quick Links: Car Accident Lawyer | Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer | Legal Malpractice Claim | Truck Accident Lawyer


You’re driving along, minding your own business, when you see a speeding, zigzagging car closing in on you. Before you can react, the driver clips the rear of your auto, causing you to fishtail, lose control, and hit the center median. Your car is badly damaged and you are injured.

One of two things will happen now. The perpetrator will either stop to make sure you and your passengers are okay or they will speed off with no intention of exchanging insurance information.

Now what? If the hit-and-run driver takes off without stopping, the normal post-crash procedures won’t necessarily apply.

If the damage to your car or your injuries don’t preclude moving your auto:

DO pull over to a safe place and write down as much information about the other driver and auto as you can remember. Some or all of the license plate might be helpful. Make and model of auto may also help.

DO take pictures of your car and area in which the collision occurred if it’s safe to do so.

DO ask any witnesses to describe what they saw. Collect their names and contact information so you or your attorney can get in touch with them.

DO call the police. Your auto insurance policy may require you to notify the police of any hit-and-run accident. If so, make sure to file a police report.

DO report the collision accurately when you call your insurance company.

DON’T chase the other car, even if you are able. Remember, as long as you have the appropriate coverages and enough coverage on your automobile policy, you will be compensated for the repair to your automobile’s damage and recovery for your personal injuries.

DO contact a Santa Ana car accident lawyer if you are injured in a car accident caused by a hit-and-run driver. If the driver does stop and give you his insurance information, you will sue his insurance company. You most likely, will make a claim with your insurance carrier under your Collision Coverage to have your automobile repaired. They in turn, will seek reimbursement from the insurance company of the driver who hit you.

If the hit-and-run driver leaves the scene and is never found, you can seek compensation for your injuries, but only if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) in your auto policy. That means you will recover from your own automobile insurance policy.

Under either circumstance, the last thing you want to do is deal with insurance companies for obtaining compensation for your injuries. A personal injury attorney can help collect all documentation to support your claim and determine your next steps. Contact us for a free case consultation today