James R. Traut
James has been a top trial lawyer since 1978. Most of his cases are referred by other attorneys who know of his reputation. He has received numerous professional honors, including Trial Lawyer of the Year awards from the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and from the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association.
One of fewer than 100 California attorneys certified as a Civil Trial Specialist and Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, James represents all the Traut Firm clients who have been harmed by the negligence of a lawyer—legal malpractice cases. He also represents plaintiffs in serious personal injury cases involving truck, auto, motorcycle, bike accidents, and property owner negligence. These cases involve brain injuries, spinal injuries, severe fractures, and wrongful death. His record of success in these cases includes hundreds of six- and seven-figure settlements, arbitration awards, and trial verdicts.
James received his Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University Law School and was admitted to the California Bar in 1978. He holds an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest possible. He is rated a “Best Lawyer” heading a “Tier 1 Best Law Firm” by U.S. News & World Report. He has been rated a “Super Lawyer” for the past 15 years.
Areas of Practice
- Legal Malpractice (Lawyer Negligence)
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Serious Personal Injury and Wrongful Death due to:
- Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Uber/Lyft Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Dangerous Property Conditions
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- California, 1978
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Trial Advocates “Trial Lawyer of the Year”
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association “Trial Lawyer of the Year”
- Super Lawyers, 2003 – Present
- AV Preeminent Rating, the highest possible rating of legal ability
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomat
- Consumer Attorneys Association of California
- Banyard Inns of Court
- Consumer Attorneys Association of L.A.
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association